Great guest blog from Sonru client Szabolcs Kelemen, Recruitment Lead at BT Hungary. In the article, Szabolcs tells us all about BT Hungary’s pioneering use of video in recruitment namely the challenges they were facing and why they invested in video interviewing, the implementation, and let’s not forget some very impressive results.
BT (British Telecommunications) is a UK-based multinational telecommunications company, providing service for public, business and governmental sectors in more than 170 countries for more than 3000 customers. With more than 2,300 employees, BT has been operating in Hungary since 1997 while its Regional Operations Centre (BT ROC) based in Budapest and Debrecen was established in 2007.
Managing more than 1,000 hires per year among a relatively small Recruitment Team (6 full-time members, 1 part-time trainee and a team leader) is enormously challenging particularly given similar future recruitment forecasts and the range of roles from internship to senior management. Due to the external influences and constantly high internal demand, we identified the imperative to innovate their candidate selection process to stay competitive in the Hungarian labour market.
Specific Challenges included:
- attracting and hiring the best possible candidates in the Hungarian market;
- supporting the internal career progression from recruitment process’ side;
- improving our employer brand to make BT ROC more attractive;
- expanding the search territory to other countries and put more focus on involving foreign BT employees as candidates into the recruitment process;
- shortening the selection process to provide a great candidate experience and also to satisfy the business needs;
- ensuring that the recruitment costs did not increase.
We identified the Sonru Video Interviewing application as the means of restructuring our process, the key benefits to both parties are presented below.
The Benefits of Video Interviews (internal selection)
Rethinking the Recruitment Process
To avoid the situation where candidates would be facing a long and complex evaluation, we made the following modifications to our process which are illustrated in the figure below.
Comparison of Selection Processes: Before and After Sonru
Candidate Communication is Key
Since this technology is not present in the Hungarian labour market, we had to focus on the candidate experience. We created personalized role-specific message templates for the invited candidates, put together a brochure for our strategic sourcing agencies which is describing the new selection process, some useful information and a Q&A which is answering all the questions we’ve faced during the test period. We are regularly attending on job fairs and career events countrywide, but when we started to use the SONRU video interview tool, we brought tablets with us and showed to the visitors how it works. BT in Hungary is proud of our cooperation with secondary schools and universities and keen to make their students familiar with new technologies, providing up to date knowledge in all areas. During our open days and seminars at schools, we conducted demonstration sessions and offered the opportunity to try it out at home. It was a pleasure to experience the next generation’s enthusiasm for this 21st century technology.
From a pool of 550 candidates for 52 different kinds of roles over more than six months, we have identified the following benefits:
- Despite this technology not currently available in Hungary, the completion rate was 82%, similar to our online tests completion rate.
- 43.75% of the candidates who passed on SONRU video interview stage were offered which demonstrates a great improvement of the pre-screening process.
- The overall recruitment cycle time decreased by 32% thanks to a 54% reduction in the pre-screening phase’s duration.
- The number of hours spent with recruitment activities by Hiring Managers decreased by 60% thanks to the fewer number of interviews.
- The new screening tool gave us the flexibility to merge different team’s recruitment activities. For example, candidates’ applications can be considered for multiple vacancies and assigned to different departments depending on their skills and preferences.
- The SONRU recorded video interview tool also brought the possibility to use it for other types of selection process, like recruiting for Graduate Programme or Internal Reskilling Programme. In these programmes we’ve also sent out 100+ invitations and abolished the geographical obstacles.
- We have recorded a 9.52% increase in the candidate satisfaction survey as well.
Bio: Szabolcs Kelemen, Recruitment Lead at BT Hungary